According to Thomas MacEntee’s Geneabloggers’ GeneaBlog Listing, the genealogy community has over 2,000 genealogy blogs.
Randy Seaver recently posted a Genea-Musings blog, “NEHGS Survey on Blog Reading,” about the recent NEHGS survey concerning the percentages of people who read genealogy blogs. The numbers are not as good as we desire.
So, that got me thinking why anyone would pick a genealogy blog to read? I think it would be because the blog provides information the reader needs. My goal is to bring information to the table that others are seeking.
If you can only read one or two genealogy blogs per day, you should pick mine! Here’s my top 10 reasons why:
10. You may discover books you want to read for more information about a particular topic. I write about books you will want to read. I also have a “Recommended Books” widget on my sidebar that links to the actual books for sale at Amazon.com. (Disclaimer: I am an affiliate with Amazon.com and receive a small compensation for sales through that widget.
9. You may read about the latest and upcoming genealogy news. I write about what’s happening in the genealogy world. I have the GeneaPress widget on my sidebar which is a list of all the press-releases in the Genealogy world. The Geneawebinars.com widget on my sidebar takes you straight to Pat Richley Erickson’s master list of genealogy webinars.
8. You may read about popular genealogy websites such as Ancestry, Fold3, Genealogy Bank, etc., and quickly get there by clicking on the “Popular Links” on my sidebar. (Disclaimer: I am affiliated with some of these websites and receive a small compensation for sales.)
7. You may sign up for my email newsletter to receive updates and other information in your email inbox.
6. You may decide to “Like” me on Facebook (it’s a link on my sidebar), so I can be one of those bloggers with 400+ followers!
5. You may read about the latest genealogy products. I also feature new products that are in pre-sale or other incentive deals in my sidebar. Currently, I have linked to the Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 Presale. Sometimes I giveaway in a random drawing products featured in my blog. You should enter these contests!
4. You may use my blog as a research tool. Have a question about a particular topic? Just scroll down my sidebar to “Categories,” select the topic you need to know about, and you may find the answer to your question.
3. You may learn something new, or pick up on new research ideas and sources that may help YOUR research.
2. You may discover we’re related! I often mention ancestors as examples in my blog and a few people reading my blog have discovered we ARE related.
1. You may be assured you will receive quality content just about every single day! Randy Seaver says “Quality Content is King.” I aim to be the “Queen of Content.”
So, if you’re already a loyal reader/follower, THANK YOU! If you’re not already, I hope you’ll give me a try!